Hurricane lamps that come with clear glass shades bring a touch of vintage warmth to any decoration. Besides, you can paint on glass.
- Spray a healthy dollop of degreasing cleanser such as dish liquid into a bowl of warm soapy water.
- Use a dampened shop cloth to wash the lampshade to remove any oil or dust. Use a shop cloth to dry the lampshade thoroughly.
- Use colored grease pencils to draw your design onto the lamp. Then, you can follow it to paint. And, you have a chance to edit or change your design before painting it onto the glass.
- Pour glass paint into small plastic bowls. Use small artist brushes to paint your design onto the glass lampshade. Before adding the next color, you need to let the old color dry completely.
- Allow your paint to dry overnight. To thoroughly set the paint, you need to place the lampshade at oven and bake it for 30 minutes with 325 degrees Fahrenheit. You don’t have to do this step if you are using air-dry glass paint. However, baking will make your paint job more durable. Remove the glass from the oven after it cool completely.
- When painting more than one oil lamp, please use precut stencils to. Thus, the designs will be identical.
- Remove all cloths and papers before lighting an oil lamp.