Over time, we may want to update a lamp shade. Here are the steps on how to attach a lamp shade. Note the solution is not intended for all lamp shades.
- Read the manufacturer’s directions before attaching a lamp shade. And size the lamp shade before purchasing.
- Disconnect lamp, then remove the bulb from the socket cap, and remove the old lamp shade and place it to the side.
- Slide the new shade gently over the top of the lamp stem to position the new shade on the lamp, and let it sit comfortably in the “UNO fitter” hardware which is built-in to the lampshade. Usually, the UNO fitter is secured by a finial, which is located at the tip of the lampshade, and is screwed onto the standard lamp sockets and extends from around the socket cap. There are two types of UNO fitters. 1. Slip-UNO fitters are held in place by a bulb. 2. Threaded-UNO fitters are screwed into place.
- Test for a proper fit and check the washer fitter located at the top of the shade. The washer fitter has a center hole that slips over the rod of the harp.
- Place a new light bulb inside the socket cap.
- Plug the lamp into a power strip or power socket.
- Turn the lamp on.