A record album hanging lamp was widely used while decorating bedrooms, basement party rooms and home bars in the 1960s and 1970s. Hanging these lamps over a jukebox or in a kid’s room makes an authentic retro touch.
How to make a light shade from a vinyl record?
Prepare things below :
- Baking sheet
- Metal bowl
- Vinyl record album
- Craft knife
- Oven mitts
- Light plug
7 steps can help you easily make light shade from a vinyl record.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the metal bowl the same size as the album face down on the metal baking tray.
- In the middle of the album, centered over the hole in the middle of the record, place a quarter, and then use a pencil to trace the quarter. Remove the quarter. Cut away the record label inside the circle. Remove all traces of paper. After that, turn over the album, and do the same thing.
- Place the album on the metal bowl, and place the baking sheet into the oven. Heat the vinyl record and let it to soften for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet and place it on the heat-proof surface. Stretch the softened vinyl in the center of the album with screwdriver to widen the hole until it has the same size as the circle you traced from the quarter.
- Fold down the album edge to create a round shape with fluted and wavy sides. Turn the bowl over and place the album inside to get a smaller shade.
- The album will cool in minutes. Please work quickly. Otherwise, please heat the album again to soft it.
- Pass the light through the hole in the center of the shade.